A GLANCE AT THE PHOTOGRAPH
Oakville Historical Society Collection, No. 336.
“Dundas & Colborne, North East Corner, 1912.”
As “A Corner on Colborne St.,” this photo appears on
page 17 of George A. Griffin’s Oakville Past and Present
(Oakville: Griffin & Griffin, Publishers, 1912).
This photo taken about 1912 includes elements of the past and signs of
things to come. Street trees planted in the latter part of the 19th century
(possibly under one of the provincial tree-planting acts) create welcome
shade and filter some of the dust stirred up by the speeding automobile.
The intersection of Colborne and Dundas streets (eventually renamed Lakeshore
and Trafalgar) is one of the most important in town. A Ford dealership
and a gas station are nearby. The Toronto-Hamilton Highway Commission
will pave Colborne through Oakville in 1915-1916 and officially open the
inter-city highway in 1917. Sidewalks, hydrants, and new, taller hydro
poles are already installed and more construction materials are piled
The solid new house on this corner lot belongs to Dr. Jebb, a dentist.
His office is in his home, so there are two entrances, one facing each
street. Plants in containers flank the steps to both doorways. A striped
canvas awning–seen on better homes since the 1880s–shades
the large, south-facing front window. A clinging vine will soon reach
the small windows near the rear corner. A lawn, punctuated only by a small
urn on a slender pedestal, surrounds the house. At the east edge of the
property is a wall of greenery. This could be a well-pruned hedge, a vine
covering the one-storey building beyond, or both.
In 1975, the Toronto Dominion Bank constructed the building now on this
A SERIES OF QUESTIONS:
When were the street trees planted?
Was the planting of roadside and street trees initiated by the Town or
In what year was the house constructed?