A GLANCE AT THE PHOTOGRAPH
Oakville Historical Society Collection, No. 357.
“Tennis court, north side of house, 1915.”
It is summer, late afternoon, and approximately one year after the start
of the Great War. Players engaged in a lawn-tennis game of mixed doubles
pause for a photograph. The court is behind what is known as “The
Manse”: the former James Nisbet residence at the foot of Park Avenue.
This is a late-Georgian cottage-style house of solid brick, with a half
basement, twin chimneys, and a hip roof surmounted by a small cupola.
A wooden cottage, much newer, stands to the east. Both structures face
the lake, which is immediately beyond.
Both homes still exist. The Nisbet house, number 10 Park Avenue, is now
stuccoed and painted white. The cupola is gone and the front (south) elevation
has been considerably altered; but the side (east) elevation retains many
original features. Numbers 14 and 16-20 Park Avenue now occupy the area
where the tennis court and rear garden were in 1915.click
here for more details.
A SERIES OF QUESTIONS:
What make and model is the car beside the cottage?
When was The Manse property subdivided?