Oakville Galleries in Gairloch Gardens & at Centennial Square
Show Up is a solo exhibition of work by Vancouver-based artist Elizabeth McIntosh. Long one of the most exciting and influential voices in Canadian contemporary painting, McIntosh has developed a rich and complex body of work over the past two decades, which provokes looking by resisting easy answers and always pushing for the unfamiliar and new.
Moving between representation and abstraction, her paintings often use unplanned processes of experimentation, or improvise on small excerpts—graphic motifs, colour palettes, objects, and lines—that are borrowed from the history of modern painting. In the end result, signifiers remain familiar, but are so loosened from their sources that they are barely recognisable. Viewers are left on the lookout, to revel in the unknown.
Show Up will survey the themes present in her most recent work, including a turn towards figuration. Stretched across both Oakville Galleries locations, it will include a new series of small paintings alongside large-scale canvases, which resonate playfully with the galleries' distinctive architecture. With painted elements that intervene directly into the building itself, the exhibition tussles with various visual strategies of juxtaposition: superimposition, collage, doubling, and inverting.
Through her unique approach to painting and many years teaching at Emily Carr University, McIntosh has had a significant impact on generations of young painters in Canada, many of whom cite her work as a key influence.
Show Up is the first solo institutional exhibition of this important artist's work outside Vancouver.
Health & Safety Measures
Before planning your visit, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Our hours of operation are Tuesdays 1:00 pm-7:00 pm, Friday and Saturdays 10:00 am-5:00 pm.
- We ask that you pre book your visit. Click here to choose a time that suits you.
- If you have a mobile device, download the exhibition handout beforehand to bring along.
- Washrooms are unavailable at Oakville Galleries in Gairloch Gardens at this time, we apologize for the inconvenience.
When you arrive:
- Wear a mask throughout your visit and if you are feeling unwell, stay home.
- We are allowing two visitors in Oakville Galleries in Gairloch Gardens and five visitors in Oakville Galleries at Centennial Square at a time. Please remain at least two metres apart from other guests (unless you are visiting with others from your bubble).
- Please sanitize your hands on the way in. Our high-traffic areas are cleaned throughout the day.
Friday & Saturday: 10am-5pm